Overview of the results of Medtech4 Europe this farPosted Nov 25, 2020
The South Transdanubian Regional Innovation Agency Nonprofit Ltd. takes part in the Medtech4 Europe Interreg Europe project. The focus of this particular project is on the medical technologies that are a key sector for the future in Europe by bringing solutions to reduce healthcare costs in a context of ageing population. The project started on 1 June 2018, and ends on 30 November 2022. The Phase 1 of the project is 2,5 years long, ends on 30 November 2020. The focus of this period is on mutual learning and experience exchange. The Phase 2, dedicated to policy influencing, is two years long and lasts in between 1 December 2020 and 30 November 2022.
During Phase 1 (between 1 June 2018 and 30 November 2020) the program delivered the following results:
- Compiling the state of play analysis of the medtech sector in project partner regions (8 analyses).
- Based on the individual regional analyses the joint cross analysis was elaborated (1 consolidated analysis).
- Following these the self-assessment of regional policies, benchmarking of regional innovation ecosystems, mapping of excellence domains were due.
- Relevant findings of the above three activities were observed and further discussed on study visits and interregional workshops (4 study visits, 4 workshops).
- Local Action Plans (APs) were elaborated by 30 November 2020 (8 APs). The implementation of these APs in order to impact regional/national medical technology relevant operational programmes and policies is due in between 1 December 2020 and 30 November 2022 in each partner region. The common point of the APs are:
- development of internal cooperation and knowledge growth,
- increasing a dedicated support towards SMEs and start-ups, including entrepreneurship,
- initiating international cooperation, openness of research and education networks, market exploration, partnerships,
- facilitating better exchange between the medical technology SMEs and clinical world, with specific roles for regions managing hospitals.
Phase 1. activities include a brochure, which covers the topic of medical technology in the European Union, a general overview of the project and its international partnership, and also the policy recommendations.
The recommended policy messages are as follows, as the brochure included:
- Medtech4 Europe regions each cultivate proved to be efficient innovation ecosystems.
- Connection/continuous learning among European actors is vital and is in need for support.
- Innovation in medical technology (as the same phenomenon is perceived in health technologies) is developing at an unprecedented pace with the COVID-19 outbreak. This underlines the importance that European medical technology sector has to be open to even unexpected needs and solutions.
The next event of the Medtech4 Europe project is the dissemination event on 17 November 2020.
The Medtech4 Europe project is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund and Hungary within the Interreg Europe Programme.